Sunday, February 08, 2009

Violence is Vulnerable

A beast lives within me.
She is called Violence.
She wears a leather tourniquet
For her heart made of stone.
Brutal and calloused,
She eats the sun
Like an orange,
And dances in the darkness
That her soul leaves behind.

I hear her coming
With a banshee scream,
Beneath the noise of the world
Her footsteps sound of roaring flames.
I feel her burning
In a crowded room,
She thrashes about
And tears at the surface.

Her smile is a cut
With shards of glass within,
A bleeding wound of destruction
She bites and gnarls at her cage.

But when we're alone and you cradle me,
Gently in your arms,
Caressing my hair
Then sketching with your fingertips across my brow,
She is at peace
Like a domestic kitten
Docile and complacent
She purrs softly a grateful hum
For the warmth of your tender salvation.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this your final poem?
i assume that since you're getting married the chances of you writing another poem about me is zero, but it looks like maybe you've stopped altogther.
kind of sad. i liked this site.
-John

4:14 PM, October 07, 2009  
Blogger James™ said...

i'm loving your blog.
continue posting! :)

6:11 AM, February 16, 2010  
Blogger Heather said...

yeah, I think I've reached the end of my poetic endeavors. It lasted about a good seven years, but I just can't do it anymore. It makes me sad too :(

9:57 PM, March 10, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you change your blogname. ill take it if you are inactive :)

6:07 AM, April 07, 2015  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you refuse to go to sleep...
Does that mean you're resisting a rest?
(lame, but cute?)

11:19 AM, November 15, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
Happy birthday. Still think about you.
Love, John

11:46 AM, November 14, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home